Tuesday 28 June 2011

Oy vey.

Well, now. I'm back. I have literally just sat and read through my friend Lesley's blog, and it has (unwittingly) bullied me into being more blog-active. I would like to think this is the start of a very long and fulfilling internet endevour, but who knows? In a week I expect I'll have given up, because that's what I do. But anyway. It might be a nice idea to check back here every now and again, and bore you all senseless with useless anecdotes and meaningful rants about the state of literature/television/cinema these days. Maybe. We'll see.
So anyway. Today I made a start on my FYP. (That's Final Year Project, if anyone cares - I'm about to embark on my 3rd year of university - I know. ARGH.) Since I don't really like the idea of failing my degree (anything less than a 2:1 is a fail, in my world) I want to make an early start on it, and - hopefully - have a first draft sortofmaybeprobablynot done by the time we go back in September/October. I've managed 200 words, and I'm stuck. The story is about missing children, who aren't really missing, but lost, having "fallen through" to an alternate reality that's pretty much a universe minus adults. In doing so, I'm trying to channel the voice of my protagonist, an eleven year old girl, whose brother has disappeared. Here is my dilemma; I am not eleven. I do not have a brother. I have never experienced the pain of losing a sibling, or the subsequent resentment that comes from realising that your parents seemingly loved him more than you.
In short, then, I'm writing about something I know nothing about, and I'm not entirely convinced this is a good thing. And so, as I think I've mentioned in a previous post, as writers, should we only ever write about what we know??
Quite the dilemma. I'm having lunch with Lesley (my friend, fellow-blogger and potential business partner) tomorrow, and fully intend to bend her ear about this.
Also, if anyone's interested, her blog can be found here: http://liesandothernonsense.blogspot.com/
It's very good, I highly reccommend it.
Over and out.

3 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed that this comment finally works...

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT WORKED! Must be my laptop that hates your blog, not the internet in general. Weird. Will leave a proper comment tomorrow. Bed now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm flattered! I always knew my writing would touch someone's life and change it for the better. I just didn't think it would be you.

    Anyway, I think it sounds like a good idea, and I'm a firm believer that you don't have to know what you're writing about (until I realise that I'm stuck, in which case I blame my lack of knowledge/aversion to research for the fact that I'm quitting).

    And I'd just like to add that having a brother is a lot like having a sister, until you become teenagers, at which point the brother stops talking to everyone and starts to smell bad. That's really the only difference I've noticed.

    ReplyDelete