Monday 21 March 2011

Inspiration and Influence. Or Perspiration and Impudence.

I am inspired by everything and I am inspired by absolutely nothing. This is not true, but I felt a good, deep, meaningful opening to this question was the best way to start.
So what inspires me? What influences me? Well - other writers. As a child, I was inspired by the works of Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, Hans Christian Anderson and of course, Walt Disney. They made my childhood, and I am often inspired to do the same for other boys and girls across the land when I grow up.
As I get older, the focus of my inspiration and influence shifts -  JK Rowling, Stephen King, Audrey Niffenegger, and even to some extent, Dan Brown. (Also, whilst it pains me to admit it, I am even a teensy little bit inspired by some of the books in my older sister's chick-lit collection, although I would like to point out that this is generally because I feel I could do it better.) Absorb everything, think about it, twist it, change it, contort it and churn out your own version.
Despite all this, there is actually one person who inspires me and influences me everyday. No, not you, Nick Trussler - but Emma Thompson. Yes, that woman from Sense and Sensibility and Nanny McPhee. I know it's a bit of an odd example, since she is, I suppose, first and foremost, an actress. But she is also a very talented screenwriter and children's author. If I could have an ounce of her writing ability, I would die happy. I especially love her for this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/8031757/Emma-Thompsons-attack-on-slang-the-pedants-battle-may-be-lost.html
So, due to my limited word count, this about sums up this post. But before I go, I feel I am obliged to mention JK Rowling once more, because she gave us Harry Potter. But I want to be her more than I am influenced by her. And this is mainly because of her bank balance.

1 comment:

  1. Who's Audrey Niffenegger? OMG i'm mentioned in your blog! Fame!!! But I should inspire you really...I'll read it as the male that inspires you the most ;)
    "Absorb everything, think about it, twist it, change it, contort it and churn out your own version. "
    Agree totally with this line, if it was facebook I would like it. I definitely think you've hit an interesting and vital point there in regards to writing. Everything we read, even bad writing, can be beneficial.
    Here’s an interesting thought though, do you copy Emma Thompson’s writing do you think? Either consciously or subconsciously? Or perhaps do you write characters which you could imagine would be played by her?
    Btw $300 million dollars is her current bank balance according to Forbes, and who says sitting on your bum all day, looking at a computer screen, doesn't pay off ;)

    ReplyDelete