Friday 8 July 2011

I am not a writer.

First things first, I'd like to share the fact that I've finally gotten around to booking my tickets for Harry Potter - hurrah!! I'm going with Hannah, my sister, on the Monday though, rather than Friday - mainly because although I am DESPERATE to see it, I also don't want to go when it'll be crammed full of people. Because I will cry. And that would be embarrassing.
Moving on, now. I haven't so much as looked at my FYP stuff since my last post. Shameful, I know. I've just been finding it hard to get my writer's head on; there is no pressure to get a move on with it, and so whenever I start my laptop up to crack out a few hundred more words, I enevitably start up The Sims and forget all about it. This is a problem. I reeeeeeally want to have made at least a substantial start on it by the time uni rolls around, but I honestly can't see it happening. I do not consider myself a writer. I cannot just sit and write into the small hours, nor can I seemingly make a start on any of the ideas I've jotted down in my little black book. It just ain't happening.
This brings me on to my next worry. This time next year, I would have completed my degree. I am expected to get a proper job, and - supposedly - grow up. This is another problem. I don't know what the heck I want to do. Well, this isn't technically true. I do know what I want to do, I just don't see how I can get there. I want to be Sandra Bullock in The Proposal. Only less bitchy, and probably, with silly hair and a bad dress sense. Her job in that film is my dream job; in fact, I would take any avenue I could get in that publishing realm. But the industry is notoriously difficult to break in to, and to be perfectly honest, I don't know if I'm cut-throat enough to hack it.
This issue has become so bad, I'm considering a career in teaching. Someone please talk me out of it.

1 comment:

  1. YOU DO NOT WANT TO TEACH. Fact.

    Children are evil little monsters. Fact.

    I'm going to cry at Harry Potter, and I'm okay with that. I get goosebumps watching the trailer, and actually did tear up at one of them (the one where he's a baby at the start and Lily tells him to be strong - too much for me, I'm afraid). I think a lot of people will cry when they see it, and it'll still be busy on the Monday. In fact, at my local cinema, it looks like the midnight showings are the least popular, probably because it's a Thursday/Friday night.

    And I've told you several times, you need to have a full draft by Christmas, not by the time we go back to uni. I haven't even though about mine yet, and that's probably a good thing. You don't want to spend all this time writing something, only to get to, say, October and decide you have a better idea.

    Ooh, did you get the Sims 3??

    Everybody writes differently. I wrote seventeen novels in the last five years, and now I can't seem to write anything. I'm really worried that I might have already peaked. There's nothing to say you must write this much a day, at this time a day, just like there aren't any rules about what you have to write about. I just happen to be one of those people who is most productive between 9pm and 3am. That's just me.

    And nobody expects students to get proper jobs. Can you make coffee? The best way to get into an industry like that is to be someone's assistant (or so various films would lead me to believe) which will most likely suck. So don't worry if you don't become Sandra Bullock overnight. These things take time.

    Now, I've been FAR too nice to you, and need to stop now before I feel any need to gush. I don't do gushing.

    ReplyDelete