Monday 7 February 2011

Why do writers write??

Asking me why I personally write is a difficult question to answer. I'm not even entirely sure that I can answer it at all - I simply don't know. I like writing, I enjoy it; but I don't live for it. I suppose, to some extent, my love for reading is what has stemmed my own venture into creative writing. My obsession with books started from a young age (I blame my grandmother and her extensive collection of Catherine Cookson's). After a while, I found that I too had thoughts and ideas that could be put down onto paper, and so began my attempts at creative writing. As Colin Firth so eloquently put in his latest cinematic triumph, "I have a voice!"
I do have a voice, but for me, creative writing is a very selfish process; I write for myself. I enjoy it, but I'm not consciously proclaiming any deep and meaningful metaphor for life.
I found THIS:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-coker/why-do-writers-write_b_358640.html
This Mark Coker chap has also looked into the reasons why people write, asking his Twitter followers to comment on their reasons for writing. From his compilation, not a single one stands out as a reason I can relate to. I don't write "because it hurts when I don't." I don't write because "it's as much a reflex as breathing, and equally essential."

I write because I can. It's something I've always been able to do. I lack the drive or motivation to write anything really substantial, so short stories and the occasional poem are more my cup of tea. (!!)
I suppose, ultimately, I write to add some order and coherence to my thoughts. I write for me. I love it, and I wouldn't want to not write. But I don't live to write.
I live to drink tea. Lots and lots of tea.

2 comments:

  1. Love it Travis I think we start out the same but for me its not a form of therapy but something fun to do. The "jumbled notes that only mean something to myself" probably more resembles my diary or general conversation then my writing ;). Loved the Catherine Cookson bit, my mum loves her stuff. Yes tea is good! But that stuff stains so make sure you have a good dentist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the Mark Coker piece. I will definitely take a look (and was discussing the Huffington Post with a colleague just the other day!). I have to admit,'because it hurts when I don't' actually made me laugh out loud which is, perhaps, not entirely constructive but made me wonder where such pain is most keenly felt? You do hear writers talk of being so full of ideas that they feel physically pained trying to contain them all long enough to get the words down on the page. And re: Catherine Cookson, my nan had an enviable collection of Mills and Boon novels so, it would seem, we both had a lucky escape - eventually....

    ReplyDelete